In this episode, I talk to Ben Usher Smith, a web designer and illustrator who runs his own design business and has been in the industry for over a decade now.
I knew Ben from our regular chats during our local WordPress Meetup group in Edinburgh and it was apparent that he has huge knowledge in the world of web design and WordPress. He is never one to shy away from helping out others when they have a question for him.
Some of the things we talk about in this episode include:
- what goes behind the scene for web designers
- how Ben’s experience in “offline art” has played a big part in his web design career
- the process Ben uses to help get the most out of clients and web designer relationship
- how clients can make the most out of their web designer
- why he also uses Squarespace as well as WordPress
“A good designer should be looking at where you can communicate with their client. And if you are looking for a good designer, look at somebody you feel like you can connect with and understand” – Ben Usher Smith
- Ben Usher Smith’s site – http://www.benushersmith.com/
- Ben’s Twitter account – https://twitter.com/benushersmith
- Place to learn new skills – https://teamtreehouse.com/
- Daniel Mall and his Visual Inventory – http://danielmall.com/articles/visual-inventory/
- Tonya Mork – https://knowthecode.io/meet-tonya
- Ben’s highly recommended book for anyone involved in web design – Mike Monteiro’s “Design is a Job”